Tours have now resumed, in line with the easing of government restrictions.
We continue to strive for the safest possible experience for all who enter Trinity House London. With this in mind, some Covid-19 safety measures remain in place, such as enhanced cleaning protocols, reception desk screens, access to hand sanitiser and floor markings to help prompt social distancing. We will continue to open windows in our event spaces to enhance ventilation, and increase spacing between seats during events where possible.
Face coverings are optional for our guests but government guidance recommends that they are worn. We would be grateful if you could please continue wearing coverings where feasible while inside Trinity House.
Please also note that for the next few weeks, as part of our continued maintenance and improvements of Trinity House, our passenger lift is being replaced, so it is not available for use. Those guests who are able to walk, but may prefer not to use stairs are welcome to make use of our service lift. Unfortunately, however, this lift is not large enough to fit a wheelchair. We apologise for this inconvenience.
This building was built in the years 1794-96 by Samuel Wyatt, Surveyor to the Corporation and brother of the famous James; Prime Minister William Pitt the Younger laid the foundation stone 12 September 1793, and the first Court inside the new building was on 23 May 1796.
It was gutted in 1940 when a German incendiary bomb lodged in the roof of the stairwell, leaving nothing of the original building save the Trinity Square façade. Professor (later Sir) Albert E Richardson undertook the reconstruction of the house by using a number of photographs of the rooms, taken by Country Life magazine in 1919, to reconstitute almost exactly the interior in its original form.
Trinity House, which is Grade I listed, was refurbished and redecorated in March 1990; the redecoration is, where possible, in keeping with the 1790s period when the house was originally built.
Trinity House, Tower Hill, London EC3N 4DH (Download PDF map)
A charge of £10.00 per person will apply and this fee is paid in to the Trinity House charitable fund providing education and welfare services for past, present and future mariners.
Tours start at 1500 and last approximately 75 minutes and are limited to 25 people per tour. Tour dates are set out below:
January 10, 17, 24 and 31
February 7, 14, 21 and 28
March 7, 14, 21 and 28